Spanish America, after 1506
The “Cross of Burgundy” (representing the cross in which Saint Andrew was crucified, two crossed, roughly-pruned knotted branches) was first used in the 15th century. It was an emblem of the Valois Dukes of Burgundy, a region in France. This symbol, via the House of Habsburg, was adopted by the monarchs of Spain in the early 16th century. Spain used it as a naval ensign from 1506 to 1701, and up to 1843 as the land battle flagIt served during the Spanish colonisation of the Americas as the flag of the Viceroyalties of the New World. It was under this flag Cuba was colonised.