Fortress across Havana Harbour
In the Castillo De Los Tres Reyes Del Morro, named after the three biblical Magi, a fortress guarding the entrance to Havana Bay. Originally under the control of Spain, it first saw action in 1762, when a British expedition against Cuba under Lord Albemarle landed in Cojimar to the east of Havana and attacked the fortress from its landward side. The fort fell when the British successfully mined one of its bastions. It was returned to the Spanish under treaty terms a year later.