Trinidad, Cuba's best-preserved colonial town
The tower of the Iglesia y Convento de San Francisco de Asís (St. Francis of Assisi), that was built in 1813 by Franciscan monks and became a parish church in 1848. In 1895 it was converted into a garrison for Spanish troops. In 1920 much of it was demolished, leaving only the bell tower and a few nearby buildings. Since 1986 it houses the Museo Nacional de la Lucha Contra Bandidos, a museum with objects relating to the struggle against the various counterrevolutionary bands that operated out of the Sierra del Escambray between 1960–65.