Florence, the Renaissance city
The Palazzo Vecchio on Piazza della Signoria was built by Arnolfo di Cambio between 1299 and 1314. It was originally called Palazzo della Signoria, after the Signoria of Florence, the ruling body of the Republic of Florence. When the Grand Duke of de' Medici ruled, it was called Palazzo Ducale, until the duke's residence was moved to the Palazzo Pitti; since then it has been the “Old Palace”. The Torre d'Arnolfo (Arnolfo tower) is 94 metres high.