Friuli-Venezia Giulia, Italy's North East
The Canal Grande, the Grand Canal in Trieste; it was realised between 1754 and 1766 by Matteo Pirona, and a key element of the new urban plan that led to the construction of Borgo Teresiano. The canal was originally crossed by three bridges (Ponte Bianco, Ponte Rosso and Ponte Verde), which used to swing open to allow boats to enter. Only the Ponte Rosso (Red Bridge) remains. At the end of the canal is the Parochial Church of Sant'Antonio Taumaturgo.