Friuli-Venezia Giulia, Italy's North East
Comune di Trieste, Trieste's City Hall on Piazza Unità d'Italia; designed by architect Giuseppe Bruni, it was built between 1873 and 1875. The clock tower rises from the central section with two bronze Moors (sculpted by Franco Asteo and replaced by copies in 1972) that locals call “Michez and Jachez striking the hours”. In front the Fontana dei Quattro Continenti (Fountain of the Four Continents), A winged figure stands out in the centre of the sculptural composition on a pedestal of uneven blocks, embodying the hospitality of the port city. It is surrounded by bales, barrels and boxes. Below in the four corners of the pool there are figures of people with animals, symbolising Europe, Asia, Africa and America. Between them there are statues, embodying the four main rivers for the people of that time – Nile, Ganges, La Plata and Danube. They hold jugs in their hands, from which water flows into the bowls below. It was created between 1751 and 1754 according to the project of the famous master Giovanni Battista Mazzoleni.