Apulia, Italy's far south east
The façade of the Basilica of Saint Nicholas, that houses the remains of the saint since 1089. It didn't start as a church: the structure existed already a century before (around the year 1000). At that time it was the residence of the governor of the Byzantine (Greek) governor of Italy, called “Catepan”. After the Bari sailors had brought the relics from Myra (present-day Turkey), the building was dedicated as a church in his honour.