Sicily, the Mediterranean's largest island
The Cathedral of Syracuse at Piazza Duomo on the island of Ortygia in Siracusa was built around an ancient temple, dedicated to the goddess Athena (Minerva in Roman mythology), perhaps around 480 BCE. In the seventh century CE the temple was converted into a Christian church, and became the city's cathedral soon afterward. The ancient columns were integrated into the new structure. After the earthquake of 1693, a new Baroque façade, designed by Andrea Palma, was added to the cathedral; it was completed in 1753.