Deoksugung Palace, Seoul
The Jeukjodang area at the Deoksugung Palace; these are royal buildings where King Seonjo (1567-1608) stayed during the Japanese invasion of 1592. Jeukjodang, in the centre, is where King Gwanghaegun (reigned 1608–1623) and King Injo (1623–1649) were crowned. In the foreground is Seogeodang, a two-story wooden house, where King Seonjo lived and died. In 1623 most buildings and lands were returned to their original owners but these two buildings were preserved as symbols of the palace. Junmyeongdang, on the left, is where King Gojong (1864-1907) administered state affairs. It is connected to Jeukjodang by a corridor. Burned down in 1904, these three buildings were rebuilt the same year.