Fortress across Havana Harbour
The main gate of Fortaleza de San Carlos de la Cabaña (Fort of Saint Charles), colloquially known as La Cabaña, a Spanish 18th-century fortress complex. It is the third-largest in the Americas and located on the elevated eastern side of the harbour entrance in Havana. Construction started in 1763, because of the the overland vulnerability of El Morro and was completed in 1774. After the Revolution Che Guevara used the fortress as a headquarters and military prison for several months and many executions took place here.