Palermo, the capital city of Sicily
Beautiful Byzantine mosaics, depicting Christ Pancreator. in the Palatine Chapel, commissioned by King Roger II of Sicily in 1132 to be built upon an older chapel (now the crypt) constructed around 1080. This Cappella Palatina is the royal chapel of the Norman kings of Sicily, on the ground floor at the centre of the Palazzo Reale in Palermo. It took eight years to build and many more to decorate it with mosaics and fine art.