Naganeupseong, near the city of Suncheon, is the only remaining Joseon dynasty castle in Jeollanam-do (South Jeolla Province). It was initially built in 1397 by the general Kim Bin-gil to protect this area. Originally surrounded by a sand wall, a stone wall was built during the reign of King Sejong of the Joseon dynasty, to offer better protection against the "Wokou", the Japanese pirates who were invading the country.
It is Korea's best preserved fortress town: 231 of the houses in the village of Nagan-myeon are still in their original condition, with thatched roofs, mortar free stone work and no plumbing. It is a living village, with farm fields, almost 100 families still reside here. Handicraft made by the locals is also for sale.
Traditional elements of village life during the Joseon Dynasty Era have been restored and reconstructed: there are "Changsung" guardian poles, traditionally erected at the entrance to pathways of villages and temples as guardians against evil spirits and diseases, a freshly painted drum tower and the Court house, showing displays of justice being administered, including corporal punishment, with mannequins in Joseon-era costumes.