Seongmo-do is an island just to the west of Ganghwa Island, in the north west of South Korea. A frequent ferry sails between the fishing village of Oepo-ri on Ganghwa-do to Seongmo-ri, the only village on Seongmo Island. The most notable site on Seongmo-do is Bomunsa, a temple allegedly constructed on command of Queen Seondeok during the Silla Era in 635 CE.
It is a most spectacular temple, with a splendid main hall and a curious display of hundreds of carved stone monks seated in what seems like a "stadium", looking at a large sculpted marble pagoda on a plaza. The famous Grotto of Bomunsa, originally built in 635, was reconstructed in 1812; a natural cave contains a chamber for an image of the Buddha and other Buddhist figures.
A steep climb behind the temple of Bomunsa leads to Ma-aeseokbuljwasang, the image of the Buddhist God of Mercy, 10 metres high and many centuries old, carved on a rock at Mount Nakga, ("Eyebrow Rock"). It was carved by the chief priests of Bomunsa, Lee Hwa-eung and Bae Seon-ju. Many people come here to pray. The view from here, over the western shore of the island of Seongmo-do, is spectacular.